The goal of this website is to help you add SketchUp to your woodworking tool collection. I want you to learn SketchUp and, in my opinion, the easiest way to learn something is by actually seeing it done.
For that reason I have made everything on this site video based. SketchUp is a powerful tool to help visualize and plan your project before you make the first bit of sawdust. Click on any SketchUp video tutorial link below.
To come back to this page click the logo or the Home button at the top of the page. These tutorials are by no means the only way to accomplish a certain task as there are always multiple ways to get to the same destination in SketchUp.
These tutorials are merely my way of showing you what works quickly and efficiently for me. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Good luck!
Core SketchUp Tutorials
- Familiarize yourself with SketchUp
- Make your first component
- Model Info
- Entity Info
- Components vs groups
- Inserting Images
- Add 3D Text
- 2d Orthographic CAD drawings from your completed project
- Switching units, imperial or metric
Tools of Trade:
- Bosch Ra1181 Benchtop Router Table
- Bosch 1617EVSPK Router Kit
- Dewalt DW735X Planer (recommended by PlanerReviews.net)
SketchUp Tool Tutorials
- Principal Tool Set: Selection, Make Component, Paint Bucket, Eraser + Soften/Smooth
- Drawing Tool Set: Rectangle, Line, Circle, Arc, Polygon, Freehand
- Modification Tool Set: Move, Push Pull, Rotate, Follow Me, Scale, Offset
- Construction Tool Set: Tape Measure, Dimension, Protractor, Text or Leader
SketchUp Time Saving Tips
- Object Snaps
- Never draw what you can copy
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Use hidden lines to your advantage
- Easy Molding With The Follow Me Tool
- Joinery: Miter, Half Lap, Rabbet, Dado, Box/Finger Joints, Regular + Half Blind Dovetails, Mortise and Tenon
- Making your own cutlist
SketchUp Design Videos
The following videos cover the design process for a particular project in SketchUp. In my opinion, it is better to have to pause and rewind to repeat something than it is to have to skip ahead because of a slower pace. For that reason these tutorial videos are pretty fast paced so buckle up and lets go! Most of these projects are either going to be built or are already built.
- 2×4 Dining Chair
- 2×4 Porch Swing
- Bread Box With Plan
- Curtain Rod Shelf
- Easy Bookcase
- Mini Condiment Bench Holder
- Sofa Table
- Toilet Cabinet
- Woodchat Telephone Design Game Expiriment
- Trash Can
Below are two quick reference guides for you. Download them or print them. Whichever helps.